Friday, April 4, 2008

WHO is allowed to speak about race?

Well my first thought was “Everyone.” Why wouldn’t anyone be able to talk about it? I know we have freedom of speech and everything, but that aside, anyone can address the issue. I think the problem is is that we don’t talk about it.

The thing is, if ‘race’ starts getting thrown around in conversation or debate, things get real heated, real fast. It almost makes you think NO ONE can talk about race. Why talk about something that makes everyone upset? After all, none of us are perfect, and all of us have pre-judged someone based on their looks or skin color. It’s like none of us are in the position to be the mediator of the race argument.

Well I don’t know who the mediator is going to be, but anyone can talk about race. None of us are that perfect, non-judging individual after all. I don’t think it’s a topic left up to politicians, or anyone else in charge. It’s not something that should be avoided either. I don’t like starting big arguments are getting people mad, but if it needs to be spoken about, it should be spoken about. I don’t see why people get upset over the topic anyway (just with the fact that it’s brought up I mean), but I always think “Oh no…” when it does. I guess it’s just our culture.

No comments: