Friday, April 18, 2008

Last Week-Part 2-

Teachers and parents are always saying, “It’s good to be a well-rounded individual.” I think that’s a good thing- well, at least it sounds good putting it like that anyway. But having to go through all of these extra courses really makes me rethink that. I thought college was going to be focusing mainly on what our major is, and taking a few English or Math classes on the side. I never really thought I’d end up taking a Sociology and Biology class. The classes are interesting for the most part, and I like my professors, but in the end…I just don’t see the point.

Right now, I can only keep reminding myself that having a little bit of knowledge in a variety of fields is a great asset. You can know everything about one particular subject, and that’s great, but knowing nothing about anything else is…pretty lame. I really would like to have a basic understanding of Biology, or a basic understanding of Japanese (I would like to be fluent in Japanese actually). I guess I just don’t see why I have to study something like it’s going to be my major. But damn. That’s an old age question I’m sure everyone is tired of hearing, and I’m probably (actually definitely) not the first to ask.

No comments: