Friday, April 4, 2008

Do we have a problem talking about race?

Memphis is supposed to be one of the most racial/discriminatory cities in the country (or so I hear), and yet we have a problem talking about race? Well, it’s not a Memphis thing-it’s everywhere. Race is always a no-no topic. You don’t want to say anything regarding the topic, or else you might disrupt the ‘peace.’

As we spoke about this is in class, I analyzed myself, to see how I saw “race”; and I’m sure everyone else was too. I do agree that background has a lot to do with it. Why wouldn’t it? I think I’m more afraid to talk about it than most other people actually. I’ve went to a private school my whole life. I’ve gone to school with very few African American kids. Race was never really a topic, as we were mostly white children. Every time this topic comes up, I’m not scared of the topic itself, but rather what will be said. Not that I don’t like speaking entirely, but I’m always a little hesitant.

I’m hesitant to the extent of using “black” actually. I know it sounds crazy, but I use “African American” a lot of the time, especially when talking in front of the class or a group. I thought about it, and I can’t explain it. I don’t really like using “white” kids or “Asian” kids either. I do use the terms I’m sure, but I don’t like using them in the sense that ‘black kids are this,’ ‘’white people are that, ’those Asian kids…’. I do probably say some of those things, I’m not little Ms. Perfect preaching to you here.

But yes, I do think there is a problem. We just avoid it for different reasons, but mainly not to step on anyone’s toes. And I hate stepping on people’s toes, so I definitely avoid the topic.

And I’m very nervous putting this blog post up actually….

No comments: